The internet world has exploded in the 21st century, and it’s how over a billion people do business. One of the best things about today’s times are the many ways to make money online, and one of those ways is on Etsy. Learning how to sell on Etsy can not only become profitable for you and your family, but it’s also a lot of fun.
Its successful sellers are in every niche you could imagine. Some earned money over time while some others saw a profit almost immediately.
What Is Etsy?
Etsy, founded by Rob Kalin in 2005 and created from the Italian word etsi, is a website of marketplaces. It’s especially for people who are looking for products they can’t find anywhere else. Its physical headquarters are in Brooklyn, New York. But it has additional offices in places all over the world such as Germany, the United Kingdom, and Japan. It’s a site where a visitor will find millions of unique goods for sale offered by over a million independent sellers.
To learn how to sell on Etsy doesn’t take business experience, and the site is designed to be user-friendly. Etsy’s goal is to empower everyday people and to strengthen communities. The website offers sellers a wide range of services and tools. Also, buyers who visit the site can easily find products through the search bar, categories, photos, and descriptions. Every price of each item is clearly labeled.
Who Uses Etsy?
First and foremost, the site is for anyone from creative entrepreneurs to hobbyists who want to sell products and for anyone who seeks to buy these products. However, the items sold must adhere to Etsy’s policies and values, which include humane business practices and an eye for craftsmanship.
The company began by allowing only handmade products. But recently they have opened up to mass produced items. Nevertheless, learning how to sell on Etsy means following the rules. For example, alcohol, drugs, and tobacco sales are not allowed. The site is designed for adults. However, children can also sell as long as they have a parent or legal guardian manage their marketplace.
Ways in Which Etsy Can Help Your Business
Although the internet is the number one way to sell products and services, some sites are more noticeable and financially viable than others. Alexa gives Etsy a global ranking of under 200, which makes it one of the most popular websites on the Internet.
- Selling your products on Etsy will offer you a wider audience than from your blog or website.
- Offering your products on the site may give you a more professional look and feel for your customers. Etsy is already known worldwide. So you are benefiting from this credibility.
- The site offers easy ways to get paid for your products, which can be less of a hassle than selling them from your blog or website.
How to Sell on Etsy in 5 Easy Ways
1. Incorporate Search Engine Optimization into Your Etsy Shop
Search engine optimization, or SEO, is the process of making your niche as noticeable as possible when visitors search a search engine, such as Google. Therefore, you’ll want to choose a name for your shop that accurately describes what you’re selling.
For example, if you were selling vintage t-shirts and your name was Carol, you could call your shop Carol’s Vintage T-Shirts. Keywords should also be present in your description and your tags.
2. Knowing How to sell on Etsy Includes Revealing Your Personality
Your goal isn’t just to make sure your copy is search engine optimized. You’ll also need to make it personal and make people want to buy from you. There’s isn’t a more important way to do that than in your About section.
This is your opportunity to tell your story. Let potential customers know why you opened your shop.
3. Make Sure Your Images Pop
- You’ll be adding a banner, cover photo and shop icon to your store. They need to be high resolution and good quality.
- Also, make sure your images look good on all devices, including desktops, laptops, mobile phones, and tablets.
- Then you’ll include listing photos, and these also need to be good quality.
If you’re selling vintage t-shirts, for example, make sure each photo shows a t-shirt that is not wrinkled and that is placed against a plain background, such as white or black.
4. Get on Social Media
When you are running a business, not being on social media is no longer an option for promotion. The top social media sites have millions if not billions of users. This is where you can not only promote what you have but also interact with your customers and potential clients.
Choose two major social media sites such as Facebook and Instagram. then, not only show and talk about what you’re offering but also engage people who have an interest in your posts.
5. Place Close Attention to Your Pricing
Your job is to find that sweet spot that not only helps you but also benefits your customers.
- You can start with a top down approach that takes into consideration your labor, materials, time and overhead.
- Then determine how your prices compare with similar Etsy stores and who is your target market.
- Test various prices to see which one works best.
To the Purchase
How to sell on Etsy is easy to learn. Also, with patience and diligence, your store can become a success. Opening an Etsy store is an excellent way to start a hobby or to become a full-fledged entrepreneur.
Will you open an Etsy store and get started with this fun way to do business? Visit Etsy to get started.
The images are from depositphotos.com.